3rd Quarter Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Junior Theme #4

This weekend I have started the daunting task of writing my junior theme. I was a little bit caught off guard when I realized this week that we don't have unlimited time to research and put together information, and that I actually had to start putting my thoughts into words very soon. The hardest part about writing the paper is coming up with points and sections that include everything you want to mention. Right now from what I have written so far, I am thinking that my paper is only going to be two sections, the two most important reasons why I think America is divided over the issue of assisted suicide. Having only two sections instead of more, smaller points is a little bit scary. From the research I've done, I have found hundreds of reasons why people disagree on this issue, some bigger than others but all of them very important. I feel like by just focusing on two things, I'll be leaving something out. But there was so much information on assisted suicide that I am bound to leave something out, so I've decided that it's most important that I am choosing two things that are extremely important and presenting them in the best way I can.

This week, I also did my interview. Unfortunately, when it got time to call my interviewee the phone didn't work for a California phone number, so I had to use the phone I was planning to use to record my interview to call my person, and take notes instead. It was a really helpful interview, and I was able to write down a few quotes and a lot of notes. The person I interviewed is a law professor at University of Michigan and UC San Diego, and he was very knowledgeable and a true expert in the subject of assisted suicide. A lot of things that he said were points that I had been thinking about during my research, but I couldn't have put them into words without his help. I have been trying to ignore my own personal feelings about assisted suicide in the process of the paper, but it was interesting to interview someone who has close to the same views as me, because the view I hold isn't exactly on one side or the other, it's pretty unique.

Good luck writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment